- With the escalating global emphasis on environment and water issues, the environment & water industry in Singapore is growing increasingly vibrant. Singapore is well-placed to take the lead in this industry as a R&D base and a provider of environment and water solutions. The Environment & Water Industry Program Office (EWI) promotes the environment & water R&D and industry in Singapore; and envisions increasing opportunities for careers, R&D and exciting new technologies in this industry. As part of the talent grooming to support this fast-rising industry, the National Research Foundation (NRF), through the EWI, is providing PhD scholarships to develop experts in Environment and Water Technologies (EWT) - the NRF (EWT) PhD scholarships.
- To build up Singapore's research capability and groom research leaders in promising Environment & Water Technology (EWT) sectors.
- Coverage and Disciplines of Study
The NRF (EWT) PhD Scholarships offer support for up to four years of academic pursuit, leading to a PhD in the fields of Environmental Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Biological Sciences and Materials Science or Engineering. The area of research should be in or related to EWT and should meet the following key drivers:
- Lower chemical usage
- Reduce energy consumption
- Minimise waste generation
- Improve water quality and security
The suggested PhD research areas include (but not limited to) the following
- Separation Process
- Water Quality Monitoring and Instrumentation
- Watershed and Water Distribution Network Management
- Brine and Sludge Management
The scholarships are tenable at National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or overseas universities renowned for EWT such as (but not restricted to):
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- California Institute of Technology (CALTECH)
- Stanford University
- Yale University
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- Michigan State University
- Johns Hopkins University
- TU Munich
- TU Delft
- University of New South Wales
- Imperial College London
- Cambridge University
- Tokyo University
- Oxford University
- ETH Zurich
- Tokyo Institute of Technology
- A relevant Bachelor's Degree with Honours (at least 2nd Class Upper) or equivalent.
- Good TOEFL score for applicants whose language of instruction for undergraduate studies is not English.
- Local PhD: Open to all nationalities (Note: Non-Singapore citizens/PRs are expected to become Singapore PRs within 2 years of completing studies.)
- Overseas PhD: Open to Singapore citizens only
- Award Details1 (for 2012 intake)
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly subsistence allowance2
- Other allowances including:
- Annual Book allowance
- Computer allowance
- Conference allowance
- Thesis allowance
- Travel allowance3
- Warm clothing allowance3
- Settling-in allowance3
1 All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by EWI from time to time.
2 Allowance of S$3,300/month for local PhD study with an additional US$2200/month for overseas PhD study. For candidates pursuing PhD under a joint program between local and overseas universities, he/she will be given overseas allowance for the period spent overseas.
3 For overseas PhD only.
- Upon completion of their studies, Singaporean will be bonded to work in Singapore (in the EWT area) for a period of 2 years (for local PhD) or 4 years for overseas PhD (Open to Singaporeans only). Foreigners will be bonded for period of 3 years for taking up our local PhD. (Note: Non-Singapore citizens are expected to become Singapore PRs within 2 years of completing studies.) For candidates pursuing PhD under a joint program between local and overseas universities, the bond period will be apportioned accordingly to the study period in Singapore and overseas.
- Application for Admission to Universities
- Applicants are to apply personally to the universities while applying for the NRF(EWT) PhD Scholarship. Please note that the final award of the NRF(EWT) PhD scholarship will be predicated on the applicant having secured a place with the university.
- Application Procedure
- Application for studies in 2012 is now open. To apply, please fill up the NRF(EWT) PhD Scholarship application form: http://ijc.brightsparks.com.sg/profile/ewi/index.php
Closing date for application is 31 Jan 2012.
- For further enquiries on
- EWT Scholarship, please email PUB_EWI@pub.gov.sg