Manipulating interfaces between microorganisms and their environments has untapped biotechnological potential. Cells mediate interactions with the environment through their membranes and extracellular matrices, which comprise a range of biopolymers that facilitate key extracellular processes. These interfaces can be exploited to increase stability, yield and throughput in bioprocesses, particularly for waste treatment. The biopolymers that make up the matrix are themselves very valuable and renewable resources. Agents to monitor extracellular processes present as attractive biosensors for a range of biofilm-mediated maladies.
My research aims to promote the exploiting of biointerfaces for biotechnological gain through:
- Enhanced solvent tolerance by exogenous membrane insertion molecule
- Electrochemical biosensors for environmental pollutants and diagnostics
- Direct characterization of exopolymer structure and function
- Biopolymer processing and recovery from extracellular matrices of biofilms
- Microrheological tools to describe in situ the contributions of exopolymers to biofilm morphotype and function (i.e. Biofilm Ecomechanics)
Illustrative journal articles
- Hinks, J., Wang, Y., Matysik, A., Kraut, R., Kjelleberg, S., Mu, Y., Bazan, G.C., Wuertz, S., Seviour, T. (2015) Increased Microbial Butanol Tolerance by Exogenous Membrane Insertion Molecules, ChemSusChem, 8 (21), 3718-3726.
- Seviour, T., Doyle, L.E., Lauw, S.J.L., Hinks, J., Rice, S.A., Nesatii, V.J., Webster, R., Kjelleberg, S., Marsili, E. (2015) Voltammetric profiling of redox-active metabolites expressed by Pseudomonas aeruginosa for diagnostic purposes, Chemical Communications, 51 (18), 3789-3792.
- Seviour, T., Hansen, S.H., Yang, L., Yau, Y.H., Wang, V.B., Stenvang, Christiansen, G., Otzen, D.E., Nielsen, PH., Marsili, E., Geifman Shochat, S., Kjelleberg, S., Dueholm, M.S. (2015) Functional amyloids keep quorum sensing molecules in check, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290 (10), 6457-6469.
- Seviour, T., Weerachanchai, P., Hinks, J., Roizman, D., Rice, S.A., Bai, L, Lee, J-M., Kjelleberg, S. (2015) Solvent optimization for bacterial extracellular matrices: a solution for the insoluble, RSC Advances, 5, 7469-7478.
- Chuen, S., Kundukad, B., Seviour, T., van der Maarel, J., Yang, L., Rice, SA., Doyle, PS., Kjelleberg, S. (2014) Dynamic remodelling of microbial biofilms by functionally distinct exopolysaccharides, MBio, 5 (4) e01536-14.